Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Austronesian: Austronesian language
Of or relating to Austronesia or its peoples, languages, or cultures.
A family of languages that includes the Formosan, Indonesian, Malay, Melanesian, Micronesian, and Polynesian subfamilies.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) of or relating to Austronesia, its peoples, or their languages
2. (Peoples) of or relating to Austronesia, its peoples, or their languages
3. (Languages) of or relating to Austronesia, its peoples, or their languages
(Languages) another name for Malayo-Polynesian
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Aus•tro•ne•sian(ˌɔ stroʊˈni ʒən, -ʃən)
1. a language family that includes all the non-Papuan, non-Australian languages of peoples indigenous to Oceania, the Indonesian archipelago, Taiwan, and the Philippines, as well as Malay and Chamic in SE Asia and Malagasy on Madagascar.adj.
2. of Austronesia or Austronesian.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Austronesian - a native or inhabitant of Austronesia|
Austronesia - islands of central and South Pacific (Indonesia and Melanesia and Micronesia and Polynesia)
Nauruan - a native or inhabitant of Nauru
Polynesian - a native or inhabitant of Polynesia
|2.||Austronesian - the family of languages spoken in Australia and Formosa and Malaysia and Polynesia|
natural language, tongue - a human written or spoken language used by a community; opposed to e.g. a computer language
Malayo-Polynesian, Polynesian - the branch of the Austronesian languages spoken from Madagascar to the central Pacific
Formosan - the Austronesian languages spoken on Formosa
|Adj.||1.||Austronesian - of or relating to or characteristic of Austronesia or its people or culture|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.