boilerplate(redirected from AutoText)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. Steel in the form of flat plates used in making steam boilers.
2. Journalistic material, such as syndicated features, made available by agencies in a form that is already typeset, originally in plate form, for easy incorporation into publications such as newspapers.
3. Hackneyed or conventional language, usually expressing a generally accepted viewpoint: "He offered little more than boilerplate, a few watery clichés about how nations needed to work together" (Bill Turque).
4. Standardized or set language that is meant to be used repeatedly, often in organizational publications or legal documents: "This was the story he told her ... when they first met and the story he stuck to, the original boilerplate" (Philip Roth).
5. Sports Snow having a hard icy crust on its surface.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (General Engineering) a form of mild-steel plate used in the production of boiler shells
2. a copy made with the intention of making other copies from it
3. a set of instructions incorporated in several places in a computer program or a standard form of words used repeatedly in drafting contracts, guarantees, etc
4. (Commerce) a draft contract that can easily be modified to cover various types of transaction
to incorporate standard material automatically in a text
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
or boil′er plate`,
1. plating of iron or steel for making the shells of boilers, covering the hulls of ships, etc.
a. syndicated or ready-to-print copy, used esp. by weekly newspapers.
b. trite, hackneyed writing.
3. phrases used repeatedly, as in correspondence.
4. the detailed standard wording of a contract.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||boilerplate - standard formulations uniformly found in certain types of legal documents or news stories|
contract - a binding agreement between two or more persons that is enforceable by law
|2.||boilerplate - thick plate iron used in the production of boilers|
plate iron - a plate of iron
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.