Also found in: Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Avar: Avar Khanate
n. pl. Avar or A·vars
1. A member of a Caucasian or eastern European people whose empire, centered in southern Hungary and extending widely between the Elbe and Dnieper Rivers, reached its peak in the late sixth and early seventh centuries.
a. A member of a traditionally Muslim people of southern Dagestan and neighboring areas of Azerbaijan.
b. The Northeast Caucasian language of this people.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Peoples) a member of a people of unknown origin in E Europe from the 6th to the early 9th century ad: crushed by Charlemagne around 800
2. (Historical Terms) a member of a people of unknown origin in E Europe from the 6th to the early 9th century ad: crushed by Charlemagne around 800
3. (Peoples) a member of a people of the Caucasas
4. (Languages) the language of this people, belonging to the North-East Caucasian family
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014