Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Avon: Tupperware
A·vonalso Upper A·von (ā′vŏn, ā′vən, ăv′ən)
A river of south-central England flowing 154 km (96 mi) to the Severn. It is known for its associations with Shakespeare.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) a former county of SW England, created in 1974 from areas of N Somerset and S Gloucestershire: replaced in 1996 by the unitary authorities of Bath and North East Somerset (Somerset), North Somerset (Somerset), South Gloucestershire (Gloucestershire), and Bristol
2. (Placename) a river in central England, rising in Northamptonshire and flowing southwest through Stratford-on-Avon to the River Severn at Tewkesbury. Length: 154 km (96 miles)
3. (Placename) a river in SW England, rising in Gloucestershire and flowing south and west through Bristol to the Severn estuary at Avonmouth. Length: 120 km (75 miles)
4. (Placename) a river in S England, rising in Wiltshire and flowing south to the English Channel. Length: about 96 km (60 miles)
(Biography) Earl of. title of (Anthony) Eden1
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
A•von(ˈeɪ vən, ˈæv ən)
1. a river in central England, flowing SE past Stratford-on-Avon to the Severn. 96 mi. (155 km) long.
2. a river in S England, flowing W to the mouth of the Severn. ab. 75 mi. (120 km) long.
3. a river in S England, flowing S to the English Channel. ab. 60 mi. (100 km) long.
4. a county in SW England, 962,000; 520 sq. mi. (1346 sq. km) Cap.: Bristol.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Avon - a river in southwestern England rising in Gloucestershire and flowing through Bristol to empty into the estuary of the Severn|
|2.||Avon - a river in central England that flows through Stratford-on-Avon and empties into the Severn|
|3.||Avon - a county in southwestern England|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.