awakening(redirected from Awakening (episode))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
v. a·wak·ened, a·wak·en·ing, a·wak·ens
1. To wake up: I awakened at 6:00 am.
2. To become aware of something: He finally awakened to the fact that he was wrong.
1. To cause to wake up: A barking dog awakened me during the night.
2. To cause (someone) to become aware; alert or enlighten: The news awakened her to the truth.
3. To stir up or produce (a memory or feeling, for example): Her new job awakened in her a sense of responsibility. See Usage Note at wake1.
[Middle English awakenen, from Old English āwæcnian : ā-, on, up; see a-2 + wæcnian, to waken; see waken.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
the start of a feeling or awareness in a person: a picture of an emotional awakening.
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
a•wak•en•ing(əˈweɪ kə nɪŋ)
1. rousing; quickening: an awakening interest.n.
2. the act of awaking from sleep.
3. a revival of interest or attention.
4. a recognition, realization, or coming into awareness of something: a rude awakening to the facts.
5. a renewal of interest in religion, esp. in a community; revival.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||awakening - the act of waking; "it was an early awakening"; "it was the waking up he hated most"|
reveille - a signal to get up in the morning; in the military it is a bugle call at sunrise
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
noun stirring up, birth, waking, waking up, revival, awaking, animating, rousing, stimulation, provocation, arousal, enlivening, activation, kindling, incitement, vivification the awakening of national consciousness in people
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
A. ADJ (fig) → naciente
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
awakening[əˈweɪkənɪŋ] n → éveil m
a young woman's political awakening → l'éveil politique d'une jeune femme
the awakening of national identity → l'éveil d'une identité nationale
a rude awakening → un réveil brutal, une rude déconvenue
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
adj (fig) → erwachend
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
awakening[əˈweɪknɪŋ] n → risveglio
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995