Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A·wash(ä′wäsh′) also Ha·wash (hä′-)
A river of eastern Ethiopia flowing about 1,200 km (750 mi) northeast to the Danakil Desert.
a. Washed by the sea.
b. Washing about.
2. In such a position or way as to be covered with or as if with water.
1. Level with or washed by waves.
2. Overflowing with or as if with water: "Machines like Watson will be awash in new and rising rivers of data" (Stephen Baker).
3. Floating on or as if on waves.
adv, adj (postpositive)
1. (Nautical Terms) at a level even with the surface of the sea
2. (Nautical Terms) washed over by the waves
1. just level with the surface of the water, so that waves break over the top.
2. covered with water.
3. tossed about by the waves.
4. covered, filled, or crowded: a garden awash in colors.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||awash - covered with water; "the main deck was afloat (or awash)"; "the monsoon left the whole place awash"; "a flooded bathroom"; "inundated farmlands"; "an overflowing tub"|
full - containing as much or as many as is possible or normal; "a full glass"; "a sky full of stars"; "a full life"; "the auditorium was full to overflowing"