Azerbaijan(redirected from Azerbayjan)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A historical region in present-day northwest Iran and Azerbaijan. It was settled by the Medes before the 8th century bc and later became a province of the Persian Empire. It became a separate kingdom after the death of Alexander the Great, but the region was much disputed and eventually conquered by Arabs (7th century), Turks (11th century), and Mongols (13th century). Persia controlled the region after c. 1605.
2. A country of Transcaucasia north of Iran on the Caspian Sea. It constitutes the northern part of the historical region of Azerbaijan, which was ceded to Russia by Persia in 1813 and 1828. Declared a Soviet republic in 1920, Azerbaijan was a part of the USSR from 1922 to 1991. Baku is the capital.
1. (Placename) a republic in NW Asia: the region was acquired by Russia from Persia in the early 19th century; became the Azerbaijan Soviet Socialist Republic in 1936 and gained independence in 1991; consists of dry subtropical steppes around the Aras and Kura rivers, surrounded by the Caucasus; contains the extensive Baku oilfields. Language: Azerbaijani (or Azeri). Religion: Shiite Muslim. Currency: manat. Capital: Baku. Pop: 9 590 159 (2013 est). Area: 86 600 sq km (33 430 sq miles)
2. (Placename) a mountainous region of NW Iran, separated from the republic of Azerbaijan by the Aras River: divided administratively into Eastern Azerbaijan and Western Azerbaijan. Capitals: Tabriz and Orumiyeh. Pop: 2 119 524 (2002 est)
Az•er•bai•jan(ˌæz ər baɪˈdʒɑn, ˌɑ zər-)
1. Also, Az`er•bai•dzhan′. Former official name, Azerbaijan′ So′viet So′cialist Repub′lic. a republic in Transcaucasia, N of Iran and W of the Caspian Sea: a former constituent republic of the U.S.S.R. 7,908,224; 33,430 sq. mi. (86,583 sq. km).Cap.: Baku.
2. a region of NW Iran.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Azerbaijan - a landlocked republic in southwestern Asia; formerly an Asian soviet|
Jayshullah - an indigenous Islamic terrorist group in Azerbaijan that attempted to bomb the United States embassy in 1999
CIS, Commonwealth of Independent States - an alliance made up of states that had been Soviet Socialist Republics in the Soviet Union prior to its dissolution in Dec 1991
Transcaucasia - a geographical region to the south of the Caucasus Mountains and to the north of Turkey that comprises Georgia and Armenia and Azerbaijan