baring(redirected from Båring)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
uncovering; undressing; exposing: He removed his shirt, baring his chest.
Not to be confused with:
bearing – a person’s demeanor, including posture and gestures: She has a regal bearing.; bringing forth: a tree bearing fruit
Abused, Confused, & Misused Words by Mary Embree Copyright © 2007, 2013 by Mary Embree
adj. bar·er, bar·est
1. Lacking the usual or appropriate covering or clothing; naked: a bare arm.
2. Exposed to view; undisguised: bare fangs.
3. Lacking the usual furnishings, equipment, or decoration: bare walls.
4. Having no addition, adornment, or qualification: the bare facts.
5. Just sufficient; mere: the bare necessities.
6. Obsolete Bareheaded.
tr.v. bared, bar·ing, bares
1. To make bare; uncover or reveal: bared their heads; baring secrets.
2. To expose: The dog bared its teeth.
A past tense of bear1.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Biography) Evelyn, 1st Earl of Cromer. 1841–1917, English administrator. As consul general in Egypt with plenipotentiary powers, he controlled the Egyptian government from 1883 to 1907
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||baring - the removal of covering |
cornhusking - the act of removing the husks from ears of corn
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.