bagman(redirected from Bag Man)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial.
1. Slang A person who collects money, as for racketeers.
2. Chiefly British A traveling salesman.
n, pl -men
1. (Professions) informal Brit a travelling salesman
2. (Professions) slang chiefly US a person who collects or distributes money for racketeers
3. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) informal chiefly Canadian a person who solicits money or subscriptions for a political party
4. (Historical Terms) history Austral a tramp or swagman, esp one on horseback
5. slang Also called: bagswinger Austral someone who takes money for a bookmaker
bag•man(ˈbægˌmæn for 1, 3; -mən for 2 )
n., pl. -men (-ˌmɛn for 1; -mən for 2 )
1. Slang. a person who collects, carries, or distributes money gained by dishonest means.
2. Brit. Informal. traveling salesman.
3. Canadian. a political fund-raiser.
[1925–30 (definition 1)]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||bagman - a salesman who travels to call on customers|
salesman - a man salesperson
spokesperson, representative, interpreter, voice - an advocate who represents someone else's policy or purpose; "the meeting was attended by spokespersons for all the major organs of government"
tallyman - one who sells goods on the installment plan
|2.||bagman - a racketeer assigned to collect or distribute payoff money|
racketeer - someone who commits crimes for profit (especially one who obtains money by fraud or extortion)