Balmoral(redirected from Balmoral shoe)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to Balmoral shoe: oxfords
1. A brimless Scottish cap that has a flat, round top and usually a pompom attached to the center.
2. often balmoral A heavy, laced walking shoe.
[After Balmoral Castle in northeast Scotland.]
n (sometimes not capital)
1. (Clothing & Fashion) a laced walking shoe
2. (Clothing & Fashion) a 19th-century woollen petticoat, worn showing below the skirt
3. (Clothing & Fashion) Also called: bluebonnet a Scottish brimless hat traditionally of dark blue wool with a cockade and plume on one side
[C19: named after Balmoral Castle]
(Placename) a castle in NE Scotland, in SW Aberdeenshire: a private residence of the British sovereign
bal•mor•al(bælˈmɔr əl, -ˈmɒr əl)
1. a woman's short walking boot with laces, worn in the 19th century.
2. (often cap.) a wide, brimless Scottish cap.
[1855–60; after Balmoral Castle in Scotland]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||balmoral - a sturdy laced walking shoe |
shoe - footwear shaped to fit the foot (below the ankle) with a flexible upper of leather or plastic and a sole and heel of heavier material
|2.||Balmoral - a brimless dark blue Scottish cap with a flat top and a plume on one side|
cap - a tight-fitting headdress