Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Of or relating to the Baltic Sea, the Baltic States, or a Baltic-speaking people.
2. Of or relating to the branch of the Indo-European language family that contains Latvian, Lithuanian, and Old Prussian.
The Baltic language branch.
1. (Placename) denoting or relating to the Baltic Sea or the Baltic States
2. (Languages) of, denoting, or characteristic of Baltic as a group of languages
3. informal Brit extremely cold
4. (Languages) a branch of the Indo-European family of languages consisting of Lithuanian, Latvian, and Old Prussian
5. (Placename) short for Baltic Sea
6. (Commerce) Also called: Baltic Exchange an international market for shipbrokers in the City of London: formerly housed in the Baltic Exchange building which was demolished after terrorist bomb damage in 1992
1. of or pertaining to the Baltic Sea and the land around it.
2. of or pertaining to the language family Baltic and its speakers.n.
3. a branch of the Indo-European family of languages that includes Lithuanian, Latvian, and Old Prussian.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Baltic - a sea in northern Europe; stronghold of the Russian navy|
Gulf of Bothnia - a northern arm of the Baltic Sea; between Sweden and Finland
Gulf of Finland - an eastern arm of the Baltic Sea; between Finland and Estonia
Gulf of Riga - an inlet of the Baltic Sea between Latvia and Estonia
|2.||Baltic - a branch of the Indo-European family of languages related to the Slavonic languages; Baltic languages have preserved many archaic features that are believed to have existed in Proto-Indo European|
Balto-Slavic, Balto-Slavic language, Balto-Slavonic - a family of Indo-European languages including the Slavic and Baltic languages
Old Prussian - a dead language of the (non-German) Prussians (extinct after 1700); thought to belong to the Baltic branch of Indo-European
Lithuanian - the official language of Lithuania; belongs to the Baltic branch of Indo-European
|Adj.||1.||Baltic - of or pertaining to or characteristic of the Baltic States or their peoples or languages|
|2.||Baltic - of or near or on the Baltic Sea; "The Baltic republics"|
Baltic[ˈbɔːltɪk] adj & n → baltico/a
the Baltic (Sea) → il (mar) Baltico