Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
Related to Baluchi: Balochistan
Ba·lu·chi(bə-lo͞o′chē) also Ba·lo·chi (-lō′chē)
n. pl. Baluchi or Ba·lu·chis also Balochi or Ba·lo·chis
1. or Baluch also Baloch A member of a traditionally nomadic Muslim people of Baluchistan.
2. The Iranian language of the Baluchi.
[Ultimately (partly via , Persian Urdu ) from Balochi balōč, Baluchi.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
npl -chis or -chi
1. (Peoples) a member of a Muslim people living chiefly in coastal Pakistan and Iran
2. (Languages) the language of this people, belonging to the West Iranian branch of the Indo-European family
3. (Placename) of or relating to Baluchistan, its inhabitants, or their language
4. (Languages) of or relating to Baluchistan, its inhabitants, or their language
5. (Peoples) of or relating to Baluchistan, its inhabitants, or their language
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -lu•chis also -luch•es.
1. a member of a people of S Asia, living primarily in Baluchistan and Afghanistan.
2. the Iranian language of the Baluchis.
[1610–20; < Persian]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Baluchi - an Iranian language spoken in Pakistan and Iran and Afghanistan and Russia and the Persian gulf|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.