bani(redirected from Banis)
Also found in: Financial, Encyclopedia.
Plural of ban2.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Currencies) the plural of ban3
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
v. banned, ban•ning,
1. to prohibit, forbid, or bar; interdict: to ban nuclear weapons.
a. to pronounce an ecclesiastical curse upon.
b. to curse; execrate.
3. the act of prohibiting by law; interdiction.
4. informal denunciation or prohibition, as by public opinion.
5. a formal ecclesiastical condemnation or excommunication.
6. a malediction; curse.
[before 1000; Middle English bannen, Old English bannan to summon, proclaim, c. Old High German bannan, Old Norse banna to curse]
1. the summoning of the sovereign's vassals for military service.
2. the body of vassals summoned.
[1200–50; Middle English, aph. variant of iban, Old English gebann summons to arms]
n., pl. ba•ni (ˈbɑ ni)
a monetary unit of Romania, equal to 1/100 of the leu.
[1960–65; < Romanian]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.