craps(redirected from Bank Craps)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Bank Craps: Loaded dice
pl.n. (used with a sing. or pl. verb)
1. A gambling game played with two dice in which a first throw of 7 or 11 wins, a first throw of 2, 3, or 12 loses the bet, and a first throw of any other number (a point) must be repeated to win before a 7 is thrown, which loses both the bet and the dice.
2. A losing throw in this game. Also called crap2.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n (usually functioning as singular)
1. (Gambling, except Cards) a gambling game using two dice, in which a player wins the bet if 7 or 11 is thrown first, and loses if 2, 3, or 12 is thrown
2. (Gambling, except Cards) shoot craps to play this game
[C19: probably from crabs lowest throw at dice, plural of crab1]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n. (usu. with a sing. v.)
1. a game in which two dice are thrown: a first throw of 7 or 11 wins, a first throw of 2, 3, or 12 loses, and a first throw of any other number can be won by throwing it again without throwing a 7.
[1835–45, Amer.; appar. < French craps, variant of crabs double-ace (lowest throw at hazard) < 18th-century E slang: pl. of crab1]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||craps - expressions used when when two dice are thrown and both come up showing one spot|
|2.||craps - a gambling game played with two dice; a first throw of 7 or 11 wins and a first throw of 2, 3, or 12 loses and a first throw of any other number must be repeated to win before a 7 is thrown, which loses the bet and the dice|
natural - (craps) a first roll of 7 or 11 that immediately wins the stake
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007