bank account(redirected from Bank accounts)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Idioms.
Funds deposited in a bank that are credited to and subject to withdrawal by the depositor.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Banking & Finance) an account created by the deposit of money at a bank by a customer
2. (Banking & Finance) the amount of moneys credited or debited to a depositor at a bank
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., v. -count•ed, -count•ing. n.
1. an oral or written description of particular events or situations; narrative.
2. an explanatory statement of conduct, as to a superior.
3. a statement of reasons, causes, etc., explaining some event.
4. reason; basis: On this account I'm refusing your offer.
5. importance; worth; value; consequence: things of no account.
6. estimation; judgment: In his account it was a miracle.
7. an amount of money deposited with a bank, as in a checking or savings account.
8. an accommodation extended to a customer permitting the charging of goods or services.
9. a statement of financial transactions.
10. a formal record of the debits and credits relating to a particular person, business, etc.
a. a business relation in which credit is used.
b. a customer or client, esp. one carried on a regular credit basis.
12. to give an explanation (usu. fol. by for).
13. to answer concerning one's conduct, duties, etc. (usu. fol. by for).
14. to provide a report on money received, kept, and spent.
15. to cause (usu. fol. by for): The heat accounts for our discomfort.v.t.
16. to regard; consider as: I account myself well paid.
17. to assign or impute (usu. fol. by to).Idioms:
1. call to account,
a. to hold accountable; blame.
b. to ask for an explanation of.
2. give a good account of oneself, to behave or perform well.
3. hold to account, to consider responsible and answerable.
4. on account, as an installment or a partial payment.
5. on account of,
a. by reason of; because of.
b. for the sake of.
6. on no account, under no circumstances; absolutely not.
7. on someone's account, for the sake of someone.
8. take account of,
a. to consider; make allowance for.
b. Also, take into account. to notice.
9. turn to account, to derive profit or use from.
[1225–75; Middle English ac(c)ount(e), ac(c)ompte < Anglo-French, Old French aco(u)nte, acompte. See ac-, count1]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||bank account - a fund that a customer has entrusted to a bank and from which the customer can make withdrawals; "he moved his bank account to a new bank"|
giro account - an account at a post office that can be used in similar ways to an account at a bank
checking account, chequing account, current account - a bank account against which the depositor can draw checks that are payable on demand
savings account - a bank account that accumulates interest
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
tài khoản ngân hàng
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
bank account→ حِسَاب بَنْكِيّ bankovní účet bankkonto Bankkonto τραπεζικός λογαριασμός cuenta bancaria pankkitili compte en banque bankovni račun conto bancario 銀行口座 은행 계좌 bankrekening bankkonto konto bankowe conta bancária банковский счет bankkonto บัญชีธนาคาร banka hesabı tài khoản ngân hàng 银行账户
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009