Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A member of an evangelical Protestant church of congregational polity, following the Reformed tradition in worship and believing in freedom of conscience, separation of church and state, and baptism only of voluntary, conscious believers.
2. baptist One that baptizes.
[Middle English, baptizer, from Old French baptiste, from Late Latin baptista, from Greek baptistēs, from baptizein, to baptize; see baptize.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Protestantism) a member of any of various Christian sects that affirm the necessity of baptism (usually of adults and by immersion) following a personal profession of the Christian faith
2. (Bible) the Baptist See John the Baptist
(Protestantism) denoting, relating to, or characteristic of any Christian sect that affirms the necessity of baptism following a personal profession of the Christian faith
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a member of a Christian denomination that baptizes believers by immersion.
2. (l.c.) a person who baptizes.
3. the Baptist, John the Baptist.adj.
4. of or pertaining to Baptists.
[1150–1200; Middle English < Old French < Late Latin < Greek]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Baptist - follower of Baptistic doctrines |
Baptist Church, Baptists - any of various evangelical Protestant churches that believe in the baptism of voluntary believers
Protestant - an adherent of Protestantism
Northern Baptist - a member of the American Baptist Convention
Southern Baptist - a member of the Southern Baptist Convention
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
người theo giáo phái Baptist
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n → baptiste mf
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
Baptist→ مَعْمَدان baptista baptist Baptist Βαπτιστής baptista baptisti baptiste baptist Battista バプテスト 침례교도 doopsgezinde baptist baptysta baptista, batista баптист baptist ผู้นับถือศาสนาคริสต์ Baptist người theo giáo phái Baptist 施洗者
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009