bark(redirected from Bark (botany))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. The harsh sound uttered by a dog.
2. A sound, such as a cough, that is similar to a dog's bark.
v. barked, bark·ing, barks
1. To utter a bark.
2. To make a sound similar to a bark: "The birds bark softly, sounding almost like young pups" (Charleston SC News and Courier).
3. To speak sharply; snap: "a spot where you can just drop in ... without anyone's barking at you for failing to plan ahead" (Andy Birsh).
4. To work as a barker, as at a carnival.
To utter in a loud, harsh voice: The quarterback barked out the signals.
bark up the wrong tree
To misdirect one's energies or attention.
[From Middle English berken, to bark, from Old English beorcan.]
1. The tough outer covering of the woody stems and roots of trees, shrubs, and other woody plants. It includes all tissues outside the vascular cambium.
2. A specific kind of bark used for a special purpose, as in tanning or medicine.
tr.v. barked, bark·ing, barks
1. To remove bark from (a tree or log).
2. To rub off the skin of; abrade: barked my shin on the car door.
3. To tan or dye (leather or fabric) by steeping in an infusion of bark.
4. To treat (a patient) using a medicinal bark infusion.
[Middle English, from Old Norse börkr.]
bark 3also barque (bärk)
1. A sailing ship with from three to five masts, all of them square-rigged except the after mast, which is fore-and-aft rigged.
2. A small vessel that is propelled by oars or sails.
[Middle English barke, boat, from Old French barque, from Old Italian barca, from Latin; akin to Latin bāris, Egyptian flatbottom boat, from Greek, from Egyptian byr, br.]
1. the loud abrupt usually harsh or gruff cry of a dog or any of certain other animals
2. a similar sound, such as one made by a person, gun, etc
3. his/her bark is worse than his/her bite he or she is bad-tempered but harmless
4. (intr) (of a dog or any of certain other animals) to make its typical loud abrupt cry
5. (intr) (of a person, gun, etc) to make a similar loud harsh sound
6. to say or shout in a brusque, peremptory, or angry tone: he barked an order.
7. informal US to advertise (a show, merchandise, etc) by loudly addressing passers-by
8. bark up the wrong tree informal to misdirect one's attention, efforts, etc; be mistaken
[Old English beorcan; related to Lithuanian burgěti to quarrel, growl]
1. (Botany) a protective layer of dead corky cells on the outside of the stems of woody plants
2. (Tanning) any of several varieties of this substance that can be used in tanning, dyeing, or in medicine
3. (Pharmacology) an informal name for cinchona
4. to scrape or rub off skin, as in an injury
5. (Forestry) to remove the bark or a circle of bark from (a tree or log)
6. to cover or enclose with bark
7. (Tanning) to tan (leather), principally by the tannins in barks
[C13: from Old Norse börkr; related to Swedish, Danish bark, German Borke; compare Old Norse björkr birch]
(Nautical Terms) a variant spelling (esp US) of barque
1. the abrupt, explosive cry of a dog.
2. a similar sound made by another animal, as a fox.
3. a short, explosive sound, as of firearms.
4. a brusque order, reply, etc.
5. a cough.v.i.
6. (of a dog or other animal) to utter an abrupt, explosive cry.
7. to make a similar sound: The big guns barked.
8. to speak sharply or gruffly.
9. to advertise some attraction, as a carnival sideshow, by standing outside and calling to passersby.
10. to cough.v.t.
11. to utter in a harsh, shouting tone: to bark orders at subordinates.Idioms:
bark up the wrong tree, to misdirect one's thoughts or efforts.
[before 900; Middle English berken, Old English beorcan; akin to Old English borcian to bark, Old Norse berkja to bluster]
1. the external covering of the woody stems, branches, and roots of plants, as distinct and separable from the wood itself.
2. a mixture of oak and hemlock barks used in tanning.
3. candy, usu. of chocolate with large pieces of nuts, made in flat sheets.v.t.
4. to scrape the skin of, as by bumping into something.
5. to treat with a bark infusion; tan.
6. to strip the bark from; peel.
[1250–1300; Middle English < Old Norse bǫrkr (genitive barkar)]
1. a sailing vessel having three or more masts, square-rigged on all but the aftermost.
2. (formerly) any boat or sailing vessel.
[1425–75; late Middle English barke < Old French barque « Late Latin barca, Latin *bārica, bāris < Greek bâris Egyptian barge < Coptic barī barge]
The protective outer covering of the trunk, branches, and roots of trees and other woody plants. Bark is usually divided into inner bark, consisting of phloem (tissue that distributes a watery mixture of sugars and growth hormones made in the leaves and buds), and outer bark, consisting of layers of dead cells from the inner bark. The outer bark protects the tree from heat, cold, insects, and other dangers.
Past participle: barked
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||bark - tough protective covering of the woody stems and roots of trees and other woody plants|
covering, natural covering, cover - a natural object that covers or envelops; "under a covering of dust"; "the fox was flushed from its cover"
cassia bark, Chinese cinnamon - aromatic bark of the cassia-bark tree; less desirable as a spice than Ceylon cinnamon bark
cinnamon bark - aromatic bark of Saigon cinnamon used medicinally as a carminative
magnolia - dried bark of various magnolias; used in folk medicine
tanbark - bark rich in tannin; bruised and cut in pieces to use for tanning; spent tanbark used as a ground covering
mezereum - the dried bark of the shrub mezereon
canella, canella bark, white cinnamon - highly aromatic inner bark of the Canella winterana used as a condiment and a tonic
cinchona, cinchona bark, Jesuit's bark, Peruvian bark - medicinal bark of cinchona trees; source of quinine and quinidine
cascarilla bark, eleuthera bark, sweetwood bark - aromatic bark of cascarilla; used as a tonic and for making incense
root - (botany) the usually underground organ that lacks buds or leaves or nodes; absorbs water and mineral salts; usually it anchors the plant to the ground
cascara, cascara sagrada, chittam bark, chittem bark - dried bark of the cascara buckthorn used as a laxative
winter's bark - aromatic bark having tonic and stimulant properties
tapa, tapa bark, tappa, tappa bark - the thin fibrous bark of the paper mulberry and Pipturus albidus
angostura, angostura bark - the bitter bark of a South American tree; used in medicines and liqueurs and bitters
branch - a division of a stem, or secondary stem arising from the main stem of a plant
tree trunk, trunk, bole - the main stem of a tree; usually covered with bark; the bole is usually the part that is commercially useful for lumber
cork - outer bark of the cork oak; used for stoppers for bottles etc.
|2.||bark - a noise resembling the bark of a dog|
noise - sound of any kind (especially unintelligible or dissonant sound); "he enjoyed the street noises"; "they heard indistinct noises of people talking"; "during the firework display that ended the gala the noise reached 98 decibels"
|3.||bark - a sailing ship with 3 (or more) masts|
|4.||bark - the sound made by a dog |
bow-wow - the bark of a dog
cry - the characteristic utterance of an animal; "animal cries filled the night"
|Verb||1.||bark - speak in an unfriendly tone; "She barked into the dictaphone"|
|2.||bark - cover with bark|
cover - provide with a covering or cause to be covered; "cover her face with a handkerchief"; "cover the child with a blanket"; "cover the grave with flowers"
|3.||bark - remove the bark of a tree |
strip - remove the surface from; "strip wood"
|4.||bark - make barking sounds; "The dogs barked at the stranger"|
let loose, let out, utter, emit - express audibly; utter sounds (not necessarily words); "She let out a big heavy sigh"; "He uttered strange sounds that nobody could understand"
|5.||bark - tan (a skin) with bark tannins |
tan - treat skins and hides with tannic acid so as to convert them into leather
لِحاءُ الشَّجَرنُباحيَخْدِشُ، يَقْشِرُيَنْبَحيَنْبَحُ
geltgeltagelta, tala höstuglegageygeyja
kôraodrieť si kožu
A. N [of tree] → corteza f
B. VT [+ tree] → descortezar; [+ skin] → raer, raspar
to bark one's shins → desollarse las espinillas
to bark one's shins → desollarse las espinillas
2. (= speak sharply) → vociferar (at a)
bark3 [bɑːk] N (liter, poet) (= boat) → barco m
vt (= rub off) skin → aufschürfen; (= knock against) → anstoßen, anschlagen; to bark one’s shin against the table → sich (dat) → das Schienbein am Tisch anschlagen
n (of dog, seal, gun, cough) → Bellen nt; his bark is worse than his bite (Prov) → Hunde, die bellen, beißen nicht (Prov)
vi → bellen; to bark at somebody → jdn anbellen; (person also) → jdn anfahren; to be barking up the wrong tree (fig inf) → auf dem Holzweg sein (inf)
the short, sharp cry of a dog, fox etc. blaf نُباح лай latido štěkání das Bellen gøen; bjæffen γάβγισμαladrido haugatus پارس؛ عوعو haukku aboiementנביחה भों-भों की आवाज lajati ugatás salakan, gong-gongan gelt abbaio, latrato ほえ声 짖는 소리 lojimas riešana; rejas salak geblafbjeffing, gjøing szczekanie غپا، غپيدل latido lătrat лай štekanie lajež lavež skall, skällande เสียงเห่าของสุนัข havlama (狗、狐等)吠叫聲 гавкання بھونکنے کی آواز tiếng sủa （狗、狐等）吠叫声verb
1. to make this sound. The dog barked at the stranger. blaf يَنْبَح лая latir štěkat bellen gø; bjæffe γαβγίζωladrar haukuma پارس کردن haukkua aboyer לִנְבוֹחַ भौंकना lajati ugat menyalak, menggong-gong gelta abbaiare, latrare ほえる 짖다 loti riet menyalak blaffenbjeffe, gjøszczekać غپيدل ladrar a lătra лаять štekať lajati lajati skälla เห่า havlamak 吠叫 гавкати بھونکنا sủa 吠叫
2. to utter abruptly. She barked a reply. toesnou يَنْطِقُ كَلاما بِصورةٍ مُفاجِئَه излайвам berrar vyštěknout schnauzen bjæffe γαβγίζω, εκστομίζω κτ. απότομα και δυνατά ladrar, berrear, vociferar käratama به کسی پریدن ärähtää dire d'un ton brutal “לִנְבוח” अचानक बोलना izlanuti kiált membentak gelta, tala höstuglega gridare, urlare ほえるように言う 고함지르다 burbtelėti uzkliegt; uzbļaut memekik blaffenbjeffe, kommanderewarknąć په يو چا باندى ويل،په چا باندى خيز وهل berrar a spune răstit рявкать vyšteknúť zabrusiti brecnuti se skälla (ryta) till ตะคอก bağırmak 突然喊出 гаркнути اچانک جواب دینا quát tháo 大声喊出
the covering of the trunk and branches of a tree. He stripped the bark off the branch. bas لِحاءُ الشَّجَر кора на дърво casca kůra die Rinde bark φλοιόςcorteza (puu)koor پوستۀ درخت kaarna écorce קְלִיפַּת הַעִץ वृक्ष की छाल kora drveta kéreg kulit kayu trjábörkur corteccia 樹皮 나무껍질 žievė, tošis miza kulit kayu schorsbarkkora د ونی بوستکی، د وني پت، د وني پوټكي casca scoarţă, coajă кора kôra lubje kora bark เปลือกไม้ ağaç kabuğu 樹皮 кора درخت کی چھال vỏ cây 树皮verb
to take the skin off (part of the body) by accident. I barked my shin on the table. afskaaf يَخْدِشُ، يَقْشِرُ обелвам кора на/оголвам дърво esfolar odřít (si) kůži abschürfen skrabe γδέρνω κατά λάθος raspar marraskile tõmbama تصادفاً پوست خود را خراشیدن nirhaista écorcher לִקְלוֹף चमड़ी उतरना zguliti kožu lehorzsol melecetkan skráma, hrufla scorticare すりむく 수피를 벗기다 nu(si)brozdinti noplēst mizu/ādu melecet schavenskrape zedrzeć skórę په تصادفى سره خپل پوست خراښول esfolar a jupui сдирать кожу odrieť si kožu odrgniti (kožo) oguliti skrapa ลอก (เปลือกต้นไม้) (düştüğünde dizinin/dirseğinin) derisini sıyırmak 擦破皮 здерти шкіру کھال اتارنا lột vỏ 擦破皮