floodgate(redirected from Bascule gate)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A gate used to control the flow of a body of water. Also called water gate.
2. Something that restrains a flood or outpouring: The ruling opened the floodgates to refugees seeking asylum.
1. (Civil Engineering) Also called: head gate or water gate a gate in a sluice that is used to control the flow of water. See also sluicegate
2. (often plural) a control or barrier against an outpouring or flow: to open the floodgates to immigration.
1. a gate designed to regulate the flow of water.
2. anything serving to control the indiscriminate flow or passage of something.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||floodgate - something that restrains a flood or outpouring; "suspension of surveillance opened the floodgates to illegal immigrants"|
restraint - a rule or condition that limits freedom; "legal restraints"; "restraints imposed on imports"
|2.||floodgate - regulator consisting of a valve or gate that controls the rate of water flow through a sluice|
regulator - any of various controls or devices for regulating or controlling fluid flow, pressure, temperature, etc.