radix(redirected from Base (math))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. rad·i·ces (răd′ĭ-sēz′, rā′dĭ-) or ra·dix·es
1. Biology A root or point of origin.
2. Abbr. rad. Mathematics The base of a system of numbers, such as 2 in the binary system and 10 in the decimal system.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -dices (-dɪˌsiːz) or -dixes
1. (Mathematics) maths any number that is the base of a number system or of a system of logarithms: 10 is the radix of the decimal system.
2. (Biology) biology the root or point of origin of a part or organ
3. (Linguistics) linguistics a less common word for root19
[C16: from Latin rādīx root; compare Greek rhadix small branch, rhiza root]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. rad•i•ces (ˈræd əˌsiz, ˈreɪ də-)
1. Math. a number taken as the base of a system of numbers, logarithms, or the like.
2. Anat., Bot. a root; radicle.
[1565–75; < Latin rādīx root, akin to Greek rhíza root, rhadīx branch, frond; see root1]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||radix - (numeration system) the positive integer that is equivalent to one in the next higher counting place; "10 is the radix of the decimal system"|
number representation system, number system, numeration system, system of numeration - any notation for the representation of numbers
number - a concept of quantity involving zero and units; "every number has a unique position in the sequence"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n pl <radices> (Math) → Grundzahl f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007