beet(redirected from Beet pulp)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a vegetable with a (usually) dark red bulbous root: My mother made pickled beets.
Not to be confused with:
beat – strike repeatedly; vanquish; sound a signal: beat a drum; a rhythmical unit of time: The metronome set the beat.
1. A biennial Eurasian plant (Beta vulgaris) grown as a crop plant for its edible roots and leaves.
2. The swollen root of this plant eaten as a vegetable, typically having reddish flesh.
3. The sugar beet.
[Middle English bete, from Old English bēte, from Latin bēta.]
1. (Plants) any chenopodiaceous plant of the genus Beta, esp the Eurasian species B. vulgaris, widely cultivated in such varieties as the sugar beet, mangelwurzel, beetroot, and spinach beet. See also chard
2. (Plants) the leaves of any of several varieties of this plant, which are cooked and eaten as a vegetable
3. (Plants) red beet the US name for beetroot
[Old English bēte, from Latin bēta]
1. any of various biennial plants of the genus Beta, of the goosefoot family, esp. B. vulgaris, having a fleshy red or white root and dark-green red-veined leaves.
2. the edible root of such a plant.
[before 1000; Middle English bete, Old English bēte < Latin bēta]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||beet - biennial Eurasian plant usually having a swollen edible root; widely cultivated as a food crop|
beetroot, Beta vulgaris rubra - beet having a massively swollen red root; widely grown for human consumption
Beta vulgaris cicla, chard, chard plant, leaf beet, spinach beet, Swiss chard - beet lacking swollen root; grown as a vegetable for its edible leaves and stalks
Beta vulgaris vulgaris, mangel-wurzel, mangold, mangold-wurzel - beet with a large yellowish root; grown chiefly as cattle feed
sugar beet - form of the common beet having a sweet white root from which sugar is obtained
vegetable - any of various herbaceous plants cultivated for an edible part such as the fruit or the root of the beet or the leaf of spinach or the seeds of bean plants or the flower buds of broccoli or cauliflower
|2.||beet - round red root vegetable |
root vegetable - any of various fleshy edible underground roots or tubers
sugar beet - white-rooted beet grown as a source of sugar
mangel-wurzel - cultivated as feed for livestock
củ cải đường
beet[biːt] n → barbabietola
beet→ بَنْجَر červená řepa rødbede Rote Beete παντζάρι remolacha punajuuri betterave cikla barbabietola rossa ビートルート 비트 뿌리 rode biet rødbete burak (ćwikłowy) beterraba свекла rödbeta หัวบีตรูต pancar củ cải đường 甜菜根