benjamin(redirected from Ben Oni)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia.
In the Bible, the younger son of Jacob and Rachel and the forebear of one of the tribes of Israel.
[Hebrew binyāmîn, son of the south : bēn, son; see bn in Semitic roots + yāmîn, south; see ymn in Semitic roots.]
[Alteration (influenced by the name Benjamin) of benjoin, benzoin; see benzoin.]
1. A one-hundred dollar bill.
2. One hundred dollars.
[After Benjamin Franklin, whose portrait appears on the US $100 bill.]
[C16: variant of benzoin; influenced in form by the name Benjamin]
1. (Bible) Old Testament
a. the youngest and best-loved son of Jacob and Rachel (Genesis 35:16–18; 42:4)
b. the tribe descended from this patriarch
c. the territory of this tribe, northwest of the Dead Sea
2. archaic a youngest and favourite son
1. (Biography) Arthur. 1893–1960, Australian composer. In addition to Jamaican Rumba (1938), he wrote five operas and a harmonica concerto (1953)
2. (Biography) Walter (ˈvaltər). 1892–1940, German critic and cultural theorist
ben•ja•min(ˈbɛn dʒə mən)
Ben•ja•min(ˈbɛn dʒə mən)
1. the youngest son of Jacob and Rachel, and the brother of Joseph. Gen. 35:18.
2. one of the 12 tribes of Israel, traditionally descended from him.
3. Judah Philip, 1811–84, Confederate statesman.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||benjamin - gum resin used especially in treating skin irritation|
gum resin - a mixture of resin and gum
|2.||Benjamin - (Old Testament) the youngest and best-loved son of Jacob and Rachel and one of the twelve forebears of the tribes of Israel|
Old Testament - the collection of books comprising the sacred scripture of the Hebrews and recording their history as the chosen people; the first half of the Christian Bible