Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Bengali: Bengali people
Of or relating to Bengal or its people, language, or culture.
n. pl. Bengali or Ben·ga·lis
a. A native or inhabitant of Bengal.
b. A person of Bengali ancestry.
2. The modern Indic language of Bangladesh and West Bengal, a state of eastern India.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Peoples) a member of a people living chiefly in Bangladesh and in West Bengal. The West Bengalis are mainly Hindus; the East Bengalis of Bangladesh are mainly Muslims
2. (Languages) Also called: Bangla the language of this people: the official language of Bangladesh and the chief language of West Bengal; it belongs to the Indic branch of the Indo-European family
3. (Placename) of or relating to Bengal, the Bengalis, or their language
4. (Languages) of or relating to Bengal, the Bengalis, or their language
5. (Peoples) of or relating to Bengal, the Bengalis, or their language
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Ben•ga•li(bɛnˈgɔ li, -ˈgɑ-, bɛŋ-)
n., pl. -lis.
1. an Indo-Aryan language spoken in Bangladesh, West Bengal, and adjacent areas.
2. a native speaker of Bengali.adj.
3. of or pertaining to Bengal, Bengali, or its speakers.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Bengali - (Hinduism) a member of a people living in Bangladesh and West Bengal (mainly Hindus)|
Hindooism, Hinduism - a body of religious and philosophical beliefs and cultural practices native to India and based on a caste system; it is characterized by a belief in reincarnation, by a belief in a supreme being of many forms and natures, by the view that opposing theories are aspects of one eternal truth, and by a desire for liberation from earthly evils
Bangla Desh, Bangladesh, East Pakistan, People's Republic of Bangladesh - a Muslim republic in southern Asia bordered by India to the north and west and east and the Bay of Bengal to the south; formerly part of India and then part of Pakistan; it achieved independence in 1971
|2.||Bengali - an ethnic group speaking Bengali and living in Bangladesh and eastern India|
|3.||Bengali - a Magadhan language spoken by the Bengali people; the official language of Bangladesh and Bengal|
Magadhan - a subfamily of Indic languages
|Adj.||1.||Bengali - of or relating to or characteristic of Bengal or its people; "Bengali hills"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
adj → bengali f inv
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995