Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A former kingdom of western Africa, now part of Nigeria. It flourished from the 14th to the 17th century.
2. Formerly Da·ho·mey (də-hō′mē, dä-ô-mā′) A country of western Africa. Originally made up of several ancient kingdoms colonized by France in the 19th century, it became independent in 1960 and was renamed Benin in 1975. Porto-Novo is the capital and Cotonou the largest city.
3. also Benin City A city of southern Nigeria near the Benin River, about 160 km (100 mi) long. The city is known for its bronze works of art.
1. (Placename) a republic in W Africa, on the Bight of Benin, a section of the Gulf of Guinea: in the early 19th century a powerful kingdom, famed for its women warriors; became a French colony in 1893, gaining independence in 1960. It consists chiefly of coastal lagoons and swamps in the south, a fertile plain and marshes in the centre, and the Atakora Mountains in the northwest. Official language: French. Religion: animist majority. Currency: franc. Capital: Porto Novo (the government is based in Cotonou). Pop: 9 877 292 (2013 est). Area: 112 622 sq km (43 474 sq miles). Former name (until 1975): Dahomey
2. (Placename) a former kingdom of W Africa, powerful from the 14th to the 17th centuries: now a province of S Nigeria: noted for its bronzes
1. Formerly, Dahomey. a republic in W Africa: formerly part of French West Africa; gained independence in 1960. 6,305,567; 44,290 sq. mi. (114,711 sq. km). Cap.: Porto Novo.
2. Bight of, a bay in N Gulf of Guinea in W Africa.
3. a historic kingdom of W Africa centered in Edo-speaking regions W of the Niger River.
4. a river in S Nigeria flowing into the Bight of Benin.
Be•ni•nese (bəˈnin iz, -is, ˌbɛn əˈniz, -ˈnis) adj., n., pl. -nese.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Benin - a country on western coast of Africa; formerly under French control|
capital of Benin, Porto Novo - the capital of Benin in southwestern part of country on a coastal lagoon
Cotonou - chief port of Benin on the Bight of Benin
Africa - the second largest continent; located to the south of Europe and bordered to the west by the South Atlantic and to the east by the Indian Ocean
Beninese - a native or inhabitant of Benin
Ewe - a member of a people living in southern Benin and Togo and southeastern Ghana