Bennett(redirected from Bennett (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Bennett, Floyd 1890-1928.
American aviator and Arctic explorer who won fame for making the first flight over the North Pole with Richard E. Byrd (1926). Evidence brought to light in the 1990s suggested that the two never reached the North Pole.
Bennett, James Gordon 1795-1872.
American journalist and publisher who founded and edited (1835-1867) the New York Herald. His son James Gordon Bennett (1841-1918) succeeded him as editor (1867), founded the Paris edition of the Herald, and funded expeditions and sporting events.
Bennett, Richard Bedford Viscount Bennett. 1870-1947.
Canadian prime minister (1930-1935) who convened the 1932 economic conference in Ottawa.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Biography) Alan. born 1934, British actor and playwright. His plays include Forty Years On (1968), The Old Country (1977), The Madness of George III (1991), The History Boys (2004), and the monologues for television Talking Heads (1987, 1998)
2. (Biography) (Enoch) Arnold. 1867–1931, British novelist, noted for The Old Wives' Tale (1908), Clayhanger (1910), and other works set in the Staffordshire Potteries
3. (Biography) James Gordon. 1837–1931, US newspaper editor, born in Scotland. He founded (1835) the New York Herald and introduced techniques of modern news reporting
4. (Biography) Jill. 1931–90, British actress
5. (Biography) Richard Bedford, 1st Viscount. 1870–1947, Canadian Conservative statesman; prime minister (1930–35)
6. (Biography) Sir Richard Rodney. born 1936, British composer, noted for film music and his operas The Mines of Sulphur (1965) and Victory (1970)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. (Enoch) Arnold, 1867–1931, English novelist.
2. James Gordon, 1795–1872, U.S. journalist.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.