phenol(redirected from Benzanol)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to Benzanol: benzoyl
phe·nol(fē′nôl′, -nōl′, -nŏl′)
1. A caustic, poisonous, white crystalline compound, C6H6O, derived from benzene and used in resins, plastics, and pharmaceuticals and in dilute form as a disinfectant. Also called carbolic acid.
2. Any of a class of aromatic organic compounds having at least one hydroxyl group attached directly to the benzene ring.
1. (Elements & Compounds) Also called: carbolic acid a white crystalline soluble poisonous acidic derivative of benzene, used as an antiseptic and disinfectant and in the manufacture of resins, nylon, dyes, explosives, and pharmaceuticals; hydroxybenzene. Formula: C6H5OH
2. (Elements & Compounds) chem any of a class of weakly acidic organic compounds whose molecules contain one or more hydroxyl groups bound directly to a carbon atom in an aromatic ring
phe•nol(ˈfi nɔl, -nɒl)
1. a white, crystalline, water-soluble, poisonous substance, C6H5OH, used chiefly as a disinfectant, as an antiseptic, and in organic synthesis.
2. any analogous hydroxyl derivative of benzene.
phe•no•lic (fɪˈnoʊ lɪk, -ˈnɒl ɪk) adj.
A poisonous, white, crystalline compound used as a disinfectant and to make plastics and drugs. Also called carbolic acid.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||phenol - any of a class of weakly acidic organic compounds; molecule contains one or more hydroxyl groups|
pyrogallic acid, pyrogallol - a toxic white lustrous crystalline phenol used to treat certain skin diseases and as a photographic developer
organic compound - any compound of carbon and another element or a radical
creosol - a colorless to yellow aromatic liquid that is a constituent of creosote
cresol, methyl phenol - any of three poisonous colorless isomeric phenols; derived from coal or wood tar; used as a disinfectant
naphthol - either of two phenols derived from naphthalene
resorcinol - a crystalline phenol obtained from various resins; used in ointments for acne and in dandruff shampoos
tannic acid, tannin - any of various complex phenolic substances of plant origin; used in tanning and in medicine
|2.||phenol - a toxic white soluble crystalline acidic derivative of benzene; used in manufacturing and as a disinfectant and antiseptic; poisonous if taken internally|
acid - any of various water-soluble compounds having a sour taste and capable of turning litmus red and reacting with a base to form a salt