Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A member of a North African, primarily Muslim people living in settled or nomadic tribes from Morocco to Egypt.
2. Any of the Afro-Asiatic languages of the Berbers.
1. (Peoples) a member of a Caucasoid Muslim people of N Africa
2. (Languages) the language of this people, forming a subfamily of the Afro-Asiatic family of languages. There are extensive differences between dialects
3. (Languages) of or relating to this people or their language
4. (Peoples) of or relating to this people or their language
1. a member of any of a group of peoples of the mountains of North Africa and mountains and oases of the Sahara, including, in most usages, the Tuaregs.
2. the group of closely related languages spoken by these peoples: a branch of Afroasiatic.
[1835–45; < Arabic barbar < Greek bárbaros; see barbarous]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Berber - a member of an indigenous people of northern Africa|
African - a native or inhabitant of Africa
Almoravid - a member of a Muslim dynasty of Berber warriors that flourished from 1049 to 1145 and that established political dominance over northwestern Africa and Spain
|2.||Berber - a cluster of related dialects that were once the major language of northern Africa west of Egypt; now spoken mostly in Morocco|
Afrasian, Afrasian language, Afroasiatic, Afro-Asiatic, Afroasiatic language, Hamito-Semitic - a large family of related languages spoken both in Asia and Africa
Tuareg - the dialect of Berber spoken by the Tuareg