Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A city of northern California on San Francisco Bay north of Oakland. A branch of the University of California is here (established 1868).
(Placename) a city in W California, on San Francisco Bay: seat of the University of California. Pop: 102 049 (2003 est)
1. (Biography) Busby. real name William Berkeley Enos. 1895–1976, US dance director, noted esp for his elaborate choreography in film musicals
2. (Biography) George. 1685–1753, Irish philosopher and Anglican bishop, whose system of subjective idealism was expounded in his works A Treatise concerning the Principles of Human Knowledge (1710) and Three Dialogues between Hylas and Philonous (1713). He also wrote Essay towards a New Theory of Vision (1709)
3. (Biography) Sir Lennox (Randal Francis). 1903–89, British composer; his works include four symphonies, four operas, and the Serenade for Strings (1939)
Berke•ley(ˈbɜrk li; for 2,3 also Brit. ˈbɑrk-)
1. George, 1685?–1753, Irish bishop and philosopher.
2. Sir William, 1610–77, British colonial governor of Virginia 1642–76.
3. a city in W California on San Francisco Bay. 103,660.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Berkeley - Irish philosopher and Anglican bishop who opposed the materialism of Thomas Hobbes (1685-1753)|
|2.||Berkeley - a city in California on the eastern shore of San Francisco Bay; site of the University of California at Berkeley|
University of California at Berkeley - a university in Berkeley, California