valve(redirected from Bicuspid aortic valve)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
top: closed check valve
bottom: open check valve
a. Any of various devices that regulate the flow of gases, liquids, or loose materials through piping or through apertures by opening, closing, or obstructing ports or passageways.
b. The movable control element of such a device.
c. A device in a brass wind instrument that can be opened or closed to change the pitch by altering the length of the air column in the tube.
2. Anatomy A membranous structure in a hollow organ or passage, as in an artery or vein, that folds or closes to prevent the return flow of the body fluid passing through it.
a. A piece of shell covering or enclosing certain mollusks or other invertebrates, especially the single one of a univalve mollusk or one of the paired hinged ones of a bivalve mollusk or brachiopod.
b. One of the two siliceous halves of the cell wall of a diatom.
4. One of the pieces into which a plant part splits at maturity, especially a segment of a fruit capsule or of certain anthers.
5. Chiefly British An electron tube or a vacuum tube.
6. Archaic Either half of a double or folding door.
tr.v. valved, valv·ing, valves
1. To provide with a valve.
2. To control by means of a valve.
1. (Mechanical Engineering) any device that shuts off, starts, regulates, or controls the flow of a fluid
2. (Anatomy) anatomy a flaplike structure in a hollow organ, such as the heart, that controls the one-way passage of fluid through that organ
3. (Electronics) Also called: tube or vacuum tube an evacuated electron tube containing a cathode, anode, and, usually, one or more additional control electrodes. When a positive potential is applied to the anode, electrons emitted from the cathode are attracted to the anode, constituting a flow of current which can be controlled by a voltage applied to the grid to produce amplification, oscillation, etc. See also diode2, triode1, tetrode, pentode
4. (Zoology) zoology any of the separable pieces that make up the shell of a mollusc
5. (Music, other) music a device on some brass instruments by which the effective length of the tube may be varied to enable a chromatic scale to be produced
6. (Botany) botany
a. any of the several parts that make up a dry dehiscent fruit, esp a capsule
b. either of the two halves of a diatom cell wall
7. (Architecture) archaic a leaf of a double door or of a folding door
[C14: from Latin valva a folding door]
n., v. valved, valv•ing. n.
1. any device for halting or controlling the flow of something, as a liquid, through a pipe or other passage.
2. a hinged lid or other movable part that closes or modifies the passage in such a device.
3. a membranous structure that permits the flow of a fluid, as blood, in one direction only.
4. (in brass instruments) a device for changing the length of the air column to alter the pitch of a tone.
5. one of the two or more separable pieces composing certain shells: the valves of a clamshell.
a. one of the segments into which a fruit capsule dehisces.
b. a flap or lidlike part of certain anthers.
7. Chiefly Brit. vacuum tube.
8. Archaic. one of the leaves of a double or folding door.v.t.
9. to provide with a valve.
[1350–1400; Middle English < Latin valvae leaves of a door]
val′vu•lar, val′val, val′var, adj.
a. Any of various mechanical devices that control the flow of liquids, gases, or loose material through pipes or channels by blocking and uncovering openings.
b. The movable part or element of such a device.
2. Any of various structures that prevent the backward flow of a body fluid. Examples include the valves between the chambers of the heart and the valves of the veins.
3. One of the paired hinged shells of certain mollusks, such as clams and oysters.
(electronic) vacuum tube
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||valve - a structure in a hollow organ (like the heart) with a flap to insure one-way flow of fluid through it|
anatomical structure, bodily structure, body structure, complex body part, structure - a particular complex anatomical part of a living thing; "he has good bone structure"
ticker, heart, pump - the hollow muscular organ located behind the sternum and between the lungs; its rhythmic contractions move the blood through the body; "he stood still, his heart thumping wildly"
ileocecal valve - valve between the ileum of the small intestine and the cecum of the large intestine; prevents material from flowing back from the large to the small intestine
|2.||valve - device in a brass wind instrument for varying the length of the air column to alter the pitch of a tone|
brass instrument, brass - a wind instrument that consists of a brass tube (usually of variable length) that is blown by means of a cup-shaped or funnel-shaped mouthpiece
device - an instrumentality invented for a particular purpose; "the device is small enough to wear on your wrist"; "a device intended to conserve water"
|3.||valve - control consisting of a mechanical device for controlling the flow of a fluid|
ball valve - any valve that checks flow by the seating of a ball
butterfly valve - a valve in a carburetor that consists of a disc that turns and acts as a throttle
choke - a valve that controls the flow of air into the carburetor of a gasoline engine
clack valve, clapper valve, clack - a simple valve with a hinge on one side; allows fluid to flow in only one direction
controller, control - a mechanism that controls the operation of a machine; "the speed controller on his turntable was not working properly"; "I turned the controls over to her"
exhaust valve - a valve through which burned gases from a cylinder escape into the exhaust manifold
handwheel - control consisting of a wheel whose rim serves as the handle by which a part is operated
handwheel - a wheel worked by hand
intake valve - a valve that controls the flow of fluid through an intake
poppet, poppet valve - a mushroom-shaped valve that rises perpendicularly from its seat; commonly used in internal-combustion engines
escape cock, escape valve, relief valve, safety valve, escape - a valve in a container in which pressure can build up (as a steam boiler); it opens automatically when the pressure reaches a dangerous level
slide valve - valve that opens and closes a passageway by sliding over a port
|4.||valve - the entire one-piece shell of a snail and certain other molluscs|
shell - the hard largely calcareous covering of a mollusc or a brachiopod
|5.||valve - one of the paired hinged shells of certain molluscs and of brachiopods|
shell - the hard largely calcareous covering of a mollusc or a brachiopod
صِمامصِمام الراديو او التلفِزْيونصِمام القَلْب
valve[vælv] n (all senses) → valvola
1. a device for allowing a liquid or gas to pass through an opening in one direction only. klep صِمام вентил válvula ventil das Ventil ventil βαλβίδαválvula ventiil سوپاپ venttiili valve, soupapeשסתום वाल्व एक`ओर खुलने वाला वायु गैस द्रव के संचार का यंत्र ventil szelep katup loki, ventill valvola 弁 밸브 vožtuvas vārsts; ventilis injap klepventil, klaffzawórválvula valvă, supapă клапан ventil ventil ventil ventil ลิ้นปิดเปิด valf, vana 閥 клапан, вентиль والو، گيس يا رقيق مادے کو گزارنے والا آلہ van 阀
2. a structure with the same effect in an animal body. Valves in the heart control the flow of blood in the human body. klep صِمام القَلْب анат. клапа válvula chlopeň die Klappe klap βαλβίδαválvula klapp دریچه läppä valvuleשסתום हृदय में रक्त वाहक वाल्व srčani zalistak billentyű katup (hjarta-/bláæða-/ristil)loka valvola 弁 인체의 유동체의 흐름의 방향을 통제하는 판막 vožtuvas vārstulis injap klepventil, klaff zastawka válvula valvă клапан chlopňa zaklopka zalistak klaff ลิ้นปิดเปิดหัวใจ kapakçık 瓣膜 клапан جسم کا ايک عضو van tim 瓣膜
3. a type of electronic component found in many, especially older, types of television, radio etc. buis صِمام الراديو او التلفِزْيون електронна лампа válvula lampa die Röhre (radio-)rør λυχνίαlámpara elektronlamp لامپ خلاء putki lampeשפופרת, מנורה वाल्व, कपाट, पूटक cijevni ispravljač rádiócső komponen elektronik lampi valvola 真空管 진공관 elektroninė lempa elektronu lampa injap buis radiolampe/-rør lampa elektronowa válvula lampă (de radio) электронная лампа elektrónka elektronka elektronska cev rör หลอดสุญญากาศซึ่งควบคุมการไหลของกระแสไฟฟ้าในวิทยุหรือโทรทัศน์ radyo/elektronik lâmba 真空管 електронна лампа ايک اليکٹرانک جز đèn chân không 真空管
n. válvula, valva, estructura membranosa en un canal u orificio que al cerrarse temporalmente impide el reflujo del contenido que pasa a través de ella;
aortic ___ → ___ aórtica;
aortic-semilunar ___ → ___ aórtica semilunar;
atrioventricular left ___ → ___ auriculoventricular izquierda;
atrioventricular right ___, tricuspid → ___ auriculoventricular derecha, tricúspide;
bicuspid or mitral ___ → ___ bicúspide o mitral;
ileocecal ___ → ___ ileocecal;
pulmonary ___ → ___ pulmonar;
pyloric ___ → ___ pilórica.