bimetallism(redirected from Bimetallic standard)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to Bimetallic standard: Bimetallic system
1. The use of a monetary standard consisting of two metals, especially gold and silver, in a fixed ratio of value.
2. The doctrine advocating bimetallism.
1. (Banking & Finance) the use of two metals, esp gold and silver, in fixed relative values as the standard of value and currency
2. (Banking & Finance) the economic policies or doctrine supporting a bimetallic standard
bi•met•al•lism(baɪˈmɛt lˌɪz əm)
1. the use of two metals, ordinarily gold and silver, at a fixed relative value, as the monetary standard.
2. the doctrine or policies supporting such a standard.
the use of two metals jointly as a monetary Standard with fixed values in relation to one another. — bimetallist, n. — bimetallistic, adj.See also: Money