chokeberry(redirected from Black Choke-berry)
1. Any of various deciduous shrubs of the genus Aronia in the rose family, native to eastern North America and having clusters of white or pinkish flowers and small red or black applelike fruit. Chokeberries are sometimes classified in the genus Photinia.
2. The fruit of any of these plants.
[From its bitter fruit.]
n, pl -ries
1. (Plants) any of various North American rosaceous shrubs of the genus Aronia
2. (Plants) the red or purple bitter fruit of any of these shrubs
choke•ber•ry(ˈtʃoʊkˌbɛr i, -bə ri)
n., pl. -ries.
1. any of several North American shrubs belonging to the genus Aronia, of the rose family.
2. their red, purple, or black berry.