black tie(redirected from Blacktie)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms.
1. A black bow tie worn with a tuxedo.
2. Semiformal evening wear, usually requiring a tuxedo for men and an evening gown or cocktail dress for women.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Clothing & Fashion) a black bow tie worn with a dinner jacket
2. (modifier) denoting an occasion when a dinner jacket should be worn
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a black bow tie, worn with semiformal evening dress.
2. semiformal evening dress for men.
requiring that male guests wear semiformal evening dress: a black-tie reception.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A black bow tie worn with a dinner jacket by men on formal occasions.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||black tie - semiformal evening dress for men|
|2.||black tie - a black bow tie worn with a dinner jacket|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.