blues(redirected from Blues (music))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
pl.n. (used with a sing. or pl. verb)
1. A state of depression or melancholy. Often used with the.
2. A style of music that evolved from southern African-American secular songs and is usually distinguished by a strong 4/4 rhythm, flatted thirds and sevenths, a 12-bar structure, and lyrics in a three-line stanza in which the second line repeats the first: "The blues is an expression of anger against shame and humiliation" (B.B. King).
[Short for blue devils, a feeling of depression.]
pl n (sometimes functioning as singular)
1. a feeling of depression or deep unhappiness
2. (Jazz) a type of folk song devised by Black Americans at the beginning of the 20th century, usually employing a basic 12-bar chorus, the tonic, subdominant, and dominant chords, frequent minor intervals, and blue notes
the Blues Brit the Royal Horse Guards
1. the blues, (used with a pl. v.) depressed spirits; melancholy.
2. (used with a sing. v.)
a. a song of woe and yearning marked by persistent blue notes and structured in a 12-bar chorus with three-line stanzas of which the third line typically repeats the first.
b. the genre of jazz and popular music comprising such songs.
3. any of various blue military uniforms worn by members of the U.S. armed services.
4. a blue work uniform.
The blues is a distinctive, indigenous black-American song form, important not only in its own right, but also because it was a major element in the evolution of jazz and, later, rock’n’roll.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||blues - a type of folksong that originated among Black Americans at the beginning of the 20th century; has a melancholy sound from repeated use of blue notes|
African-American music, black music - music created by African-American musicians; early forms were songs that had a melodic line and a strong rhythmic beat with repeated choruses
folk ballad, folk song, folksong - a song that is traditionally sung by the common people of a region and forms part of their culture
blue note - a flattened third or seventh
|2.||blues - a state of depression; "he had a bad case of the blues"|
depression - a mental state characterized by a pessimistic sense of inadequacy and a despondent lack of activity
blues→ بلوز blues blues Blues μπλουζ blues blues-musiikki blues blues blues ブルース 블루스 blues blues blues blues, melancolia блюз blues เพลงช้าที่มีจังหวะหนัก melankoli nhạc blues 蓝调音乐
n. término usada por depresión.