boot camp(redirected from Boot camp (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A training camp for military recruits.
2. A correctional method, usually applied to youthful offenders, that employs strict disciplinary techniques and rigorous physical training analogous to those used with military recruits.
3. An intensive training program, as for improving one's physical fitness or skills in a particular subject area.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. slang US a basic training camp for new recruits to the US Navy or Marine Corps
2. (Sociology) a centre for juvenile offenders, with a strict disciplinary regime, hard physical exercise, and community labour programmes
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
a camp for training U.S. Navy or Marine recruits.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||boot camp - camp for training military recruits|
bivouac, camp, cantonment, encampment - temporary living quarters specially built by the army for soldiers; "wherever he went in the camp the men were grumbling"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.