boreal(redirected from Boréale)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Of or relating to the north; northern.
2. Of or concerning the north wind.
3. Boreal Of or relating to the forest areas of northern Eurasia and northern North America, dominated by coniferous trees such as spruce, fir, and pine.
[Middle English, from Late Latin Boreālis, from Latin Boreās, Boreas; see Boreas.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
of or relating to the north or the north wind
[C15: from Latin boreās the north wind]
1. (Physical Geography) of or denoting the coniferous forests in the north of the N hemisphere
2. (Physical Geography) designating a climatic zone having snowy winters and short summers
3. (Physical Geography) designating a dry climatic period from about 7500 to 5500 bc, characterized by cold winters, warm summers, and a flora dominated by pines and hazels
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
bo•re•al(ˈbɔr i əl, ˈboʊr-)
1. of or pertaining to the north wind.
2. of or pertaining to the north.
[1425–75; late Middle English boriall < Late Latin boreālis northern (Latin bore(ās) Boreas + -ālis -al1)]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||boreal - relating to or marked by qualities associated with the north wind|
|2.||boreal - toward or located in the north; "the boreal signs of the Zodiac"|
|3.||boreal - comprising or throughout far northern regions|
northern - situated in or coming from regions of the north; "the northern hemisphere"; "northern autumn colors"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.