borough(redirected from Borough council)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. A self-governing incorporated town in some US states, such as New Jersey.
2. One of the five administrative units of New York City.
3. A civil division of the state of Alaska that is the equivalent of a county in most other US states.
4. Chiefly British
a. A town having a municipal corporation and certain rights, such as self-government.
b. A town that sends a representative to Parliament.
5. A medieval group of fortified houses that formed a town having special privileges and rights.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a town, esp (in Britain) one that forms the constituency of an MP or that was originally incorporated by royal charter. See also burgh
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) any of the 32 constituent divisions that together with the City of London make up Greater London
3. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) any of the five constituent divisions of New York City
4. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (in the US) a self-governing incorporated municipality
5. (Historical Terms) (in medieval England) a fortified town or village or a fort
6. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (in New Zealand) a small municipality with a governing body
[Old English burg; related to beorgan to shelter, Old Norse borg wall, Gothic baurgs city, Old High German burg fortified castle]
bor•ough(ˈbɜr oʊ, ˈbʌr oʊ)
1. (in certain U.S. states) an incorporated municipality smaller than a city.
2. one of the five administrative divisions of New York City.
3. (in Great Britain)
a. a self-governing incorporated urban community.
b. a town or constituency represented by a Member of Parliament.
c. a medieval fortified town.
4. (in Alaska) an administrative division similar to a county in other states.
[before 900; Middle English burw(e), bor(u)g town, Old English burg fortified town]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||borough - one of the administrative divisions of a large city|
|2.||borough - an English town that forms the constituency of a member of parliament|
townsfolk, townspeople, town - the people living in a municipality smaller than a city; "the whole town cheered the team"
burgh - a borough in Scotland
pocket borough - a sparsely populated borough in which all or most of the land is owned by a single family
rotten borough - an English parliamentary constituency with few electors
بَلْدَةٌ تَتَمَتَّعُ بِحُكْمٍ ذاتي
bær eîa borg
borough(ˈbarə) , ((American) ˈbə:rəu) noun
in Britain, a town or area with certain rights. stad, munisipaliteit بَلْدَةٌ تَتَمَتَّعُ بِحُكْمٍ ذاتي град município výsadní město, samosprávné město die Stadtgemeinde bykommune; kommune δήμος, διοικητική περιφέρεια municipio alev, linnaosa شهری که شهردار و قوانین مستقل دارد kunta municipalité עֲיָרָה उपनगर gradski okrug város kotapraja bær eða borg (città che gode di autonomia amministrativa) 市または区 (영국) 자치구 miestelis, sritis  pilsēta/rajons (ar savu pašvaldību) kawasan pilihan raya bandaran gemeenteby; valgkretsmiasto, dzielnica هغه ښار چی مستقل ښاروال او قوانین لری municípioгородок; раион obec okraj opština stad, stadsdel, kommun เมืองเล็ก ๆ ที่ปกครองตนเอง kasaba, ilçe, kaza 享有某些自治權的城市、鎮、區 невелике місто, яке має самоврядування قصبہ ، علاقہ thành phố 享有特权的自治城市，自治的市镇、区