borough(redirected from Boroughs)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
a town or village
Abused, Confused, & Misused Words by Mary Embree Copyright © 2007, 2013 by Mary Embree
1. A self-governing incorporated town in some US states, such as New Jersey.
2. One of the five administrative units of New York City.
3. A civil division of the state of Alaska that is the equivalent of a county in most other US states.
4. Chiefly British
a. A town having a municipal corporation and certain rights, such as self-government.
b. A town that sends a representative to Parliament.
5. A medieval group of fortified houses that formed a town having special privileges and rights.
[Middle English burgh, city, from Old English burg, fortified town; see bhergh- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a town, esp (in Britain) one that forms the constituency of an MP or that was originally incorporated by royal charter. See also burgh
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) any of the 32 constituent divisions that together with the City of London make up Greater London
3. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) any of the five constituent divisions of New York City
4. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (in the US) a self-governing incorporated municipality
5. (Historical Terms) (in medieval England) a fortified town or village or a fort
6. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (in New Zealand) a small municipality with a governing body
[Old English burg; related to beorgan to shelter, Old Norse borg wall, Gothic baurgs city, Old High German burg fortified castle]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
bor•ough(ˈbɜr oʊ, ˈbʌr oʊ)
1. (in certain U.S. states) an incorporated municipality smaller than a city.
2. one of the five administrative divisions of New York City.
3. (in Great Britain)
a. a self-governing incorporated urban community.
b. a town or constituency represented by a Member of Parliament.
c. a medieval fortified town.
4. (in Alaska) an administrative division similar to a county in other states.
[before 900; Middle English burw(e), bor(u)g town, Old English burg fortified town]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||borough - one of the administrative divisions of a large city|
|2.||borough - an English town that forms the constituency of a member of parliament|
townsfolk, townspeople, town - the people living in a municipality smaller than a city; "the whole town cheered the team"
burgh - a borough in Scotland
pocket borough - a sparsely populated borough in which all or most of the land is owned by a single family
rotten borough - an English parliamentary constituency with few electors
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
noun district, area, community, quarter, region, sector, ward, parish, neighbourhood, locality, locale the New York City borough of Brooklyn
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
بَلْدَةٌ تَتَمَتَّعُ بِحُكْمٍ ذاتي
bær eîa borg
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
borough(ˈbarə) , ((American) ˈbə:rəu) noun
in Britain, a town or area with certain rights. stad, munisipaliteit بَلْدَةٌ تَتَمَتَّعُ بِحُكْمٍ ذاتي град município výsadní město, samosprávné město die Stadtgemeinde bykommune; kommune δήμος, διοικητική περιφέρεια municipio alev, linnaosa شهری که شهردار و قوانین مستقل دارد kunta municipalité עֲיָרָה उपनगर gradski okrug város kotapraja bær eða borg (città che gode di autonomia amministrativa) 市または区 (영국) 자치구 miestelis, sritis  pilsēta/rajons (ar savu pašvaldību) kawasan pilihan raya bandaran gemeenteby; valgkretsmiasto, dzielnica هغه ښار چی مستقل ښاروال او قوانین لری municípioгородок; раион obec okraj opština stad, stadsdel, kommun เมืองเล็ก ๆ ที่ปกครองตนเอง kasaba, ilçe, kaza 享有某些自治權的城市、鎮、區 невелике місто, яке має самоврядування قصبہ ، علاقہ thành phố 享有特权的自治城市，自治的市镇、区
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.