vanilla(redirected from Bourbon vanilla)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Any of various tropical American vines of the genus Vanilla in the orchid family, especially V. planifolia, widely cultivated for its long narrow seedpods, which yield an aromatic substance used especially as a flavoring.
2. The seedpod of this plant. Also called vanilla bean.
3. A flavoring extract prepared from the cured seedpods of this plant or produced synthetically.
a. Flavored with vanilla: vanilla pudding.
b. Scented with or smelling like vanilla: vanilla perfume.
2. Lacking adornments or special features; basic or ordinary: "a delicious twist to a vanilla plot" (Ian O'Connor).
3. White or off-white in color: a vanilla suit.
4. Slang Relating to or engaging in sexual activity that is regarded as conventional or unadventurous; not kinky, sadomasochistic, or fetishistic.
[Obsolete Spanish vainilla, diminutive of vaina, sheath (from the shape of its seedpods), from Latin vāgīna.]
1. (Plants) any tropical climbing orchid of the genus Vanilla, esp V. plonifolia, having spikes of large fragrant greenish-yellow flowers and long fleshy pods containing the seeds (beans)
2. (Plants) the pod or bean of certain of these plants, used to flavour food, etc
3. (Cookery) a flavouring extract prepared from vanilla beans and used in cooking
4. (Cookery) flavoured with or as if with vanilla: vanilla ice cream.
5. slang ordinary or conventional: a vanilla kind of guy.
[C17: from New Latin, from Spanish vainilla pod, from vaina a sheath, from Latin vāgīna sheath]
va•nil•la(vəˈnɪl ə or, often, -ˈnɛl ə)
n., pl. -las.
1. any tropical climbing orchid of the genus Vanilla, esp. V. planifolia, bearing fruit yielding an extract used in flavoring food and in perfumery.
2. Also called vanil′la bean`. the fruit or bean of this orchid.
3. the extract of this fruit.adj.
4. containing or flavored with vanilla.
5. ordinary; commonplace.
[1655–65; < New Latin < Sp vainilla little pod =vain(a) a sheath (< Latin vāgīna sheath) + -illa diminutive suffix (< Late Latin)]
- hard sauce - Contains butter and sugar, with brandy, rum, or vanilla.
- oak - In the flavor of wines, it comes from oak cases and is similar to coconut or vanilla.
- vanilla - Can mean "having no special features."
- white chocolate - A blend of cocoa butter, milk solids and sugar and vanilla, it used in candy bars and baking and coatings; it is not technically chocolate because it contains no chocolate liqueur.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||vanilla - any of numerous climbing plants of the genus Vanilla having fleshy leaves and clusters of large waxy highly fragrant white or green or topaz flowers|
orchid, orchidaceous plant - any of numerous plants of the orchid family usually having flowers of unusual shapes and beautiful colors
genus Vanilla - large genus of tropical climbing orchids; Old and New Worlds
|2.||vanilla - a flavoring prepared from vanilla beans macerated in alcohol (or imitating vanilla beans)|
flavorer, flavoring, flavourer, flavouring, seasoning, seasoner - something added to food primarily for the savor it imparts
vanilla bean - long bean-like fruit; seeds are used as flavoring
|3.||vanilla - a distinctive fragrant flavor characteristic of vanilla beans|
|Adj.||1.||vanilla - flavored with vanilla extract; "he liked vanilla ice cream"|
|2.||vanilla - plain and without any extras or adornments; "the most common type of bond is the straight or plain vanilla bond"; "the basic car is known as the vanilla version"|
plain - not elaborate or elaborated; simple; "plain food"; "stuck to the plain facts"; "a plain blue suit"; "a plain rectangular brick building"
فانيلا: تُسْتَعمل لِتَعْطير الكَعْكفانيليا
a flavouring obtained from a tropical orchid, and used in ice-cream and other foods. vanilla ice-cream. vanielje فانيلا: تُسْتَعمل لِتَعْطير الكَعْك ванилия baunilha vanilka die Vanille vanilje βανίλιαvainilla vanilje وانیل vanilja vanilleוניל वनीला लता से निकाला हुआ सुगन्धित मसाला vanilija vanília vanili vanilla vaniglia バニラ 바닐라 vanilė vaniļa vanila vanillevaniljewanilia baunilha (de) vanilie ваниль vanilka vanilja vanila vanilj วนิลา vanilya 香草 ваніль ايک خوشبو quả vani 香草