bourdon(redirected from Bourdon (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. The drone pipe of a bagpipe.
2. The bass string, as of a violin.
3. An organ stop, commonly of the 16-foot pipes, medium in scale but with dark timbre.
[Middle English burdoun, bass, from Old French bourdon.]
1. (Instruments) a 16-foot organ stop of the stopped diapason type
2. (Instruments) the drone of a bagpipe
3. (Music, other) a drone or pedal point in the bass of a harmonized melody
[C14: from Old French: drone (of a musical instrument), of imitative origin]
bour•don(ˈbʊər dn, ˈbɔr-, ˈboʊr-)
the drone pipe of a bagpipe.
[1350–1400; Middle English < Middle French; see burden2]