brahman(redirected from Brahman's)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Brahman's: Brahman cattle
1. also Brah·ma (-mə) Hinduism
a. The divine and absolute power of being that is the source and sustainer of the universe.
b. The divine universal consciousness pervading the universe and sustaining the souls of individual persons; Atman.
c. A religious formula or prayer and the holy or sacred power in it and in the officiating priest.
2. Variant of Brahmin..
3. also Brah·ma (-mə) or Brah·min (-mĭn) Any of a breed of beef cattle developed in the southern United States from stock originating in India and having a hump between the shoulders and a pendulous dewlap. They can tolerate heat and are often used for crossbreeding.
Variant of Brahmin.
[Sanskrit brahma, brahmaṇ-. Senses 2 and 3, from Sanskrit brāhmaṇa-, Brahmanic, from brahmā, brahmaṇ-, Brahman; see Brahma1.]
Brah·man′ic (-măn′ĭk), Brah·man′i·cal adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -mans
1. (Hinduism) (sometimes not capital) Also called (esp formerly): Brahmin a member of the highest or priestly caste in the Hindu caste system
2. (Hinduism) Hinduism the ultimate and impersonal divine reality of the universe, from which all being originates and to which it returns
3. (Hinduism) another name for Brahma1
[C14: from Sanskrit brāhmana, from brahman prayer]
Brahmanic, Brahˈmanical adj
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -mans.
1. Also, Brahmin .a member of the highest, or priestly, class among the Hindus.Compare Kshatriya, Shudra, Vaisya.
2. Also, Brahma .(in Hinduism) the supreme being, the primal source and ultimate goal of all beings; atman.
3. any of several breeds of cattle developed from Indian stock.
[1475–85; < Skt brāhmaṇa (definition 1), brahman (definition 2)]
Brah•man′ic (-ˈmæn ɪk) Brah•man′i•cal, adj.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A priest or teacher.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||brahman - a member of a social and cultural elite (especially a descendant of an old New England family); "a Boston brahman"|
|2.||brahman - a member of the highest of the four Hindu varnas; "originally all brahmans were priests"|
smarta - one of a group of brahmans who uphold nonsectarian orthodoxy according to the Vedanta school of Hinduism
|3.||brahman - the highest of the four varnas: the priestly or sacerdotal category|
varna - (Hinduism) the name for the original social division of Vedic people into four groups (which are subdivided into thousands of jatis)
|4.||Brahman - any of several breeds of Indian cattle; especially a large American heat and tick resistant greyish humped breed evolved in the Gulf States by interbreeding Indian cattle and now used chiefly for crossbreeding|
Bos, genus Bos - wild and domestic cattle; in some classifications placed in the subfamily Bovinae or tribe Bovini
bovine - any of various members of the genus Bos
zebu - domesticated ox having a humped back and long horns and a large dewlap; used chiefly as a draft animal in India and east Asia
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.