Breton(redirected from Bretons)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Of or relating to Brittany or its people, language, or culture.
a. A native or inhabitant of Brittany.
b. A person of Breton ancestry.
2. The Celtic language of Brittany. Also called Armoric.
[Middle English, from Old French; see Briton.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Breton(ˈbrɛtən; French brətɔ̃)
1. (Peoples) of, relating to, or characteristic of Brittany, its people, or their language
2. (Languages) of, relating to, or characteristic of Brittany, its people, or their language
3. (Placename) of, relating to, or characteristic of Brittany, its people, or their language
4. (Peoples) a native or inhabitant of Brittany, esp one who speaks the Breton language
5. (Languages) the indigenous language of Brittany, belonging to the Brythonic subgroup of the Celtic family of languages
(Biography) André (ɑ̃dre). 1896–1966, French poet and art critic: founder and chief theorist of surrealism, publishing the first surrealist manifesto in 1924
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a native or inhabitant of Brittany.
2. a Celtic language, akin to Cornish and Welsh, spoken in central and W Brittany.adj.
3. of or pertaining to Brittany, the Bretons, or the language Breton.
[1815–20; < French]
André, 1896–1966, French poet and critic.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Breton - a native or inhabitant of Brittany (especially one who speaks the Breton language)|
Breiz, Bretagne, Brittany - a former province of northwestern France on a peninsula between the English Channel and the Bay of Biscay
|2.||Breton - a Celtic language of Brittany|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995