brig(redirected from Brigs)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
1. A two-masted sailing vessel, square-rigged on both masts.
2. A jail or prison on board a US Navy or Coast Guard vessel.
3. A jail or guardhouse, especially on the premises of a US military installation.
[Short for brigantine. Senses 2 and 3, from the use of ships as prisons.]
1. (Nautical Terms) nautical a two-masted square-rigger
2. (Military) chiefly US a prison, esp in a navy ship
[C18: shortened from brigantine]
a Scot and northern English word for a bridge1
a. a two-masted vessel square-rigged on both masts.
b. the compartment of a ship where prisoners are confined.
2. a military prison; guardhouse.
[1705–15; short for brigantine]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||brig - two-masted sailing vessel square-rigged on both masts|
|2.||brig - a penal institution (especially on board a ship)|
penal facility, penal institution - an institution where persons are confined for punishment and to protect the public
ship - a vessel that carries passengers or freight