convolution(redirected from Broca convolution)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. A form or part that is folded or coiled.
2. One of the convex folds of the surface of the brain.
1. a twisting together; a turn, twist, or coil
2. an intricate, involved, or confused matter or condition
3. (Anatomy) Also called: gyrus any of the numerous convex folds or ridges of the surface of the brain
ˌconvoˈlutional, ˌconvoˈlutionary adj
con•vo•lu•tion(ˌkɒn vəˈlu ʃən)
1. a rolled up or coiled condition.
2. a rolling or coiling together.
3. a turn of anything coiled; whorl.
4. one of the sinuous folds or ridges of the surface of the brain.
[1535–45; < Latin]
con`vo•lu′tion•al, con`vo•lu′tion•ar•y (-ʃəˌnɛr i) adj.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||convolution - the shape of something rotating rapidly|
round shape - a shape that is curved and without sharp angles
|2.||convolution - a convex fold or elevation in the surface of the brain|
anatomical structure, bodily structure, body structure, complex body part, structure - a particular complex anatomical part of a living thing; "he has good bone structure"
frontal gyrus - any of the convolutions of the outer surface of the frontal lobe of the cerebrum
temporal gyrus - any of the convolutions of the outer surface of the temporal lobe of the cerebrum
parietal gyrus - any of the convolutions of the outer surface of the parietal lobe of the cerebrum
occipital gyrus - any of the convolutions of the outer surface of the occipital lobe of the cerebrum
cerebrum - anterior portion of the brain consisting of two hemispheres; dominant part of the brain in humans
central gyrus - either of two gyri on either side of the central sulcus
|3.||convolution - the action of coiling or twisting or winding together|
change of shape - an action that changes the shape of something