Bruce(redirected from Bruce, James)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Bruce(bro͞os), Blanche Kelso 1841-1898.
American political leader who was the first African-American politician to serve a full term in the US Senate (1875-1881).
Bruce, Sir David 1855-1931.
Australian-born British physician and bacteriologist known for his description (1887) of the bacterium that causes undulant fever, or brucellosis.
Bruce, Lenny Originally Leonard Alfred Schneider. 1926-1966.
American comedian whose scathing, often obscene humor strongly influenced later comics.
Bruce, Robert the
See Robert I2.
Bruce, Stanley Melbourne First Viscount Bruce of Melbourne. 1883-1967.
Australian politician who was prime minister (1923-1929) and a delegate (1933-1936) to the League of Nations.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Biography) James. 1730–94, British explorer, who discovered the source of the Blue Nile (1770)
2. (Biography) Lenny. 1925–66, US comedian, whose satirical sketches, esp of the sexual attitudes of his contemporaries, brought him prosecutions for obscenity, but are now regarded as full of insight as well as wit
3. (Biography) Robert the Bruce. See Robert I
4. (Biography) Stanley Melbourne, 1st Viscount Bruce of Melbourne. 1883–1967, Australian statesman; prime minister, in coalition with Sir Earle Page's Country Party, of Australia (1923–29)
Brit a jocular name for an Australian man
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. Sir David, 1855–1931, Australian physician.
2. Lenny (Leonard Schneider), 1926–66, U.S. comedian.
3. Robert, Robert I (def. 2).
4. Stanley Melbourne (1st Viscount Bruce of Melbourne), 1883–1967, prime minister of Australia 1923–29.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Bruce - Australian physician and bacteriologist who described the bacterium that causes undulant fever or brucellosis (1855-1931)|
|2.||Bruce - king of Scotland from 1306 to 1329; defeated the English army under Edward II at Bannockburn and gained recognition of Scottish independence (1274-1329)|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.