bulldog(redirected from Bull dog)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to Bull dog: Bulldog Security
1. A dog of a breed originally developed in England for bullbaiting, having a short stocky body, large head, and strong square jaws with dewlaps. Also called English bulldog.
2. A short-barreled, large-caliber revolver or pistol.
3. A heat-resistant material used to line puddling furnaces.
4. Chiefly British A proctor's assistant at Oxford University or Cambridge University.
Relentless or stubborn: "The Boston team has seldom before given such an exhibition of bulldog tenacity and fight" (Glenn Stout).
tr.v. bull·dogged, bull·dog·ging, bull·dogs Western US
To throw (a calf or steer) by seizing its horns and twisting its neck until the animal falls.
1. (Breeds) a sturdy thickset breed of dog with an undershot jaw, short nose, broad head, and a muscular body
2. (Education) (at Oxford University) an official who accompanies the proctors on ceremonial occasions
3. (Stock Exchange) commerce a fixed-interest bond issued in Britain by a foreign borrower
n., adj., v. -dogged, -dog•ging. n.
1. one of an English breed of stocky, muscular shorthaired dogs having wide-set legs and a large head with prominent undershot jaws and a short, wrinkled muzzle, raised orig. for bullbaiting.
2. a stubbornly persistent person.
3. Brit. an assistant to the proctor of a university.adj.
4. like or characteristic of a bulldog or of a bulldog's jaws.v.t.
5. to attack in the manner of a bulldog.
6. Western U.S. to throw (a calf, steer, etc.) to the ground by seizing the horns and twisting the head.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||bulldog - a sturdy thickset short-haired breed with a large head and strong undershot lower jaw; developed originally in England for bull baiting|
working dog - any of several breeds of usually large powerful dogs bred to work as draft animals and guard and guide dogs
French bulldog - small stocky version of the bulldog having a sleek coat and square head
|Verb||1.||bulldog - attack viciously and ferociously|
|2.||bulldog - throw a steer by seizing the horns and twisting the neck, as in a rodeo|