burgess(redirected from Burgess, Guy (Francis de Moncy))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. A freeman or citizen of an English borough.
2. A member of the English Parliament who once represented a town, borough, or university.
3. A member of the lower house of the legislature of colonial Virginia or Maryland.
[Middle English burgeis, from Old French, from Late Latin burgēnsis, from burgus, fortified town; see bhergh- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (in England)
a. a citizen or freeman of a borough
b. any inhabitant of a borough
2. (Historical Terms) English history a Member of Parliament from a borough, corporate town, or university
3. (Historical Terms) a member of the colonial assembly of Maryland or Virginia
[C13: from Old French burgeis, from borc town, from Late Latin burgus, of Germanic origin; see borough]
1. (Biography) Anthony, real name John Burgess Wilson. 1917–93, English novelist and critic: his novels include A Clockwork Orange (1962), Tremor of Intent (1966), Earthly Powers (1980), and Any Old Iron (1989)
2. (Biography) Guy. 1911–63, British spy, who fled to the Soviet Union (with Donald Maclean) in 1951
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a representative in the House of Burgesses.
2. (formerly) a representative of a borough, corporate town, or university in the British Parliament.
[1175–1225; Middle English burgeis < Anglo-French, Old French, =burg city (< Germanic) + -eis < Latin -ēnsis -ensis; compare -ese]
1. (Frank) Gelett, 1866–1951, U.S. illustrator and humorist.
2. Thornton Waldo, 1874–1965, U.S. author.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Burgess - English writer of satirical novels (1917-1993)|
|2.||burgess - a citizen of an English borough|
Englishman - a man who is a native or inhabitant of England
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
burgess[ˈbɜːdʒɪs] N (Brit) → ciudadano/a m/f (archaic) (Parl) → diputado/a m/f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007