Burton(redirected from Burton (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to Burton (disambiguation): Lib Tech
A light tackle having double or single blocks, used to hoist or tighten rigging.
1. (Nautical Terms) nautical a kind of light hoisting tackle
2. go for a burton slang
a. to be broken, useless, or lost
b. to die
[C15: of uncertain origin]
1. (Biography) Sir Richard Francis. 1821–90, English explorer, Orientalist, and writer who discovered Lake Tanganyika with John Speke (1858); produced the first unabridged translation of The Thousand Nights and a Night (1885–88)
2. (Biography) Richard, real name Richard Jenkins. 1925–84, Welsh stage and film actor: films include Becket (1964), Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966), and Equus (1977)
3. (Biography) Robert, pen name Democritus Junior. 1577–1640, English clergyman, scholar, and writer, noted for his Anatomy of Melancholy (1621)
4. (Biography) Tim. born 1958, US film director whose work includes Beetlejuice (1988), Batman (1989), Edward Scissorhands (1990), Ed Wood (1994), Corpse Bride (2005), and Alice in Wonderland (2010)
1. Richard (Richard Jenkins), 1925–84, British actor, born in Wales.
2. Sir Richard Francis, 1821–90, English explorer, Orientalist, and writer.
3. Robert ( “Democritus Junior” ), 1577–1640, English clergyman and author.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Burton - English explorer who with John Speke was the first European to explore Lake Tanganyika (1821-1890)|
|2.||Burton - Welsh film actor who often co-starred with Elizabeth Taylor (1925-1984)|
|3.||Burton - a strong dark English ale|
ale - a general name for beer made with a top fermenting yeast; in some of the United States an ale is (by law) a brew of more than 4% alcohol by volume