Berkeley(redirected from Busby Berkeley)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A city of northern California on San Francisco Bay north of Oakland. A branch of the University of California is here (established 1868).
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Placename) a city in W California, on San Francisco Bay: seat of the University of California. Pop: 102 049 (2003 est)
1. (Biography) Busby. real name William Berkeley Enos. 1895–1976, US dance director, noted esp for his elaborate choreography in film musicals
2. (Biography) George. 1685–1753, Irish philosopher and Anglican bishop, whose system of subjective idealism was expounded in his works A Treatise concerning the Principles of Human Knowledge (1710) and Three Dialogues between Hylas and Philonous (1713). He also wrote Essay towards a New Theory of Vision (1709)
3. (Biography) Sir Lennox (Randal Francis). 1903–89, British composer; his works include four symphonies, four operas, and the Serenade for Strings (1939)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Berke•ley(ˈbɜrk li; for 2,3 also Brit. ˈbɑrk-)
1. George, 1685?–1753, Irish bishop and philosopher.
2. Sir William, 1610–77, British colonial governor of Virginia 1642–76.
3. a city in W California on San Francisco Bay. 103,660.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Berkeley - Irish philosopher and Anglican bishop who opposed the materialism of Thomas Hobbes (1685-1753)|
|2.||Berkeley - a city in California on the eastern shore of San Francisco Bay; site of the University of California at Berkeley|
University of California at Berkeley - a university in Berkeley, California
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.