cam(redirected from CAMS)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. complementary and alternative medicine
2. computer-aided manufacturing
1. A wheel that has a projecting part and is mounted on a rotating shaft to produce variable or reciprocating motion in another part.
2. Any of various similar devices having a rotating part of variable radius that interacts with another part to exert a variable force or resistance.
[Dutch kam, cog, comb; see gembh- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Mechanical Engineering) a slider or roller attached to a rotating shaft to give a particular type of reciprocating motion to a part in contact with its profile
[C18: from Dutch kam comb]
(Placename) a river in E England, in Cambridgeshire, flowing through Cambridge to the River Ouse. Length: about 64 km (40 miles)
1. (Complementary Medicine) complementary and alternative medicine
2. (Computer Science) computer-aided manufacture
3. (Botany) botany crassulacean acid metabolism: a form of photosynthesis, first described in crassulaceous plants, in which carbon dioxide is taken up only at night
4. (Automotive Engineering) Cameroon (international car registration)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
a disk or cylinder having an irregular form such that its motion, usu. rotary, gives a rocking or reciprocating motion to any contiguous part.
[< Dutch or Low German kam, kamm. See comb]
a river in E England flowing NE by Cambridge, into the Ouse River. 40 mi. (64 km) long. Also called Granta.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Cam - a river in east central England that flows past Cambridge to join the Ouse River|
England - a division of the United Kingdom
|2.||cam - a rotating disk shaped to convert circular into linear motion|
distributor cam - the cam inside the distributor that rotates to contact spark plug terminals in the correct order
rotating mechanism - a mechanism that rotates
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
CAM[ˈkæm] n abbr (=computer-aided manufacturing) → FAO f
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
CAM[kæm] n abbr =computer-aided manufacturing → fabbricazione f assistita dall'elaboratore
cam[kæm] n (Tech) → camma, eccentrico
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995