inhibitor(redirected from CHEI)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
in·hib·i·toralso in·hib·it·er (ĭn-hĭb′ĭ-tər)
One that inhibits, as a substance that retards or stops a chemical reaction.
1. Also called: inhibiter a person or thing that inhibits
2. (Chemistry) Also called: anticatalyst a substance that retards or stops a chemical reaction. Compare catalyst
3. (Biochemistry) biochem
a. a substance that inhibits the action of an enzyme
b. a substance that inhibits a metabolic or physiological process: a plant growth inhibitor.
4. (General Physics) any impurity in a solid that prevents luminescence
5. (Astronautics) an inert substance added to some rocket fuels to inhibit ignition on certain surfaces
or in•hib•it•er(ɪnˈhɪb ɪ tər)
1. one that inhibits.
2. a substance that slows or stops a chemical reaction.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||inhibitor - a substance that retards or stops an activity|
substance - a particular kind or species of matter with uniform properties; "shigella is one of the most toxic substances known to man"
angiotensin II inhibitor - an agent that retards or restrains the action of angiotensin II
antioxidant - substance that inhibits oxidation or inhibits reactions promoted by oxygen or peroxides
anticatalyst - (chemistry) a substance that retards a chemical reaction or diminishes the activity of a catalyst
moderator - any substance used to slow down neutrons in nuclear reactors
activator - (biology) any agency bringing about activation; a molecule that increases the activity of an enzyme or a protein that increases the production of a gene product in DNA transcription
n. inhibidor, agente que causa una inhibición;
fusion ___ → ___ de fusión.