cob(redirected from COBS)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
1. A corncob: corn on the cob.
2. A male swan.
3. A thickset, stocky, short-legged horse.
4. A small lump or mass, as of coal.
5. A mixture of clay and straw used as a building material.
[Probably from obsolete cob, round object, head, testicle.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Zoology) a male swan
2. (Breeds) a thickset short-legged type of riding and draught horse
5. (Plants) Brit another name for hazel1
6. (Mining & Quarrying) a small rounded lump or heap of coal, ore, etc
7. (Building) Brit and NZ a building material consisting of a mixture of clay and chopped straw
8. (Cookery) Also called: cob loaf Brit a round loaf of bread
vb, cobs, cobbing or cobbed
(tr) informal Brit to beat, esp on the buttocks
[C15: of uncertain origin; probably related to Icelandic kobbi seal; see cub]
(Animals) an archaic or dialect name for the greater black-backed gull (Larus marinus). See also gull1
[C16: of Germanic origin; related to Dutch kob, kobbe]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. corncob (def. 1): cooked corn on the cob.
2. a male swan.
3. a short-legged, thick-set horse, often having a high gait.
4. a mixture of clay and straw, used as a building material.
[1375–1425; late Middle English cobbe male swan, leader of a gang]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Coba bunch of hair; a stack of grain or hay; a rounded heap or mass; a small heap of anything.
Examples: cob of grain; of hair [a bunch or chignon]; of hay, 1616; of jelly, 1876.
Dictionary of Collective Nouns and Group Terms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: cobbed
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cob - nut of any of several trees of the genus Corylus|
edible nut - a hard-shelled seed consisting of an edible kernel or meat enclosed in a woody or leathery shell
|2.||cob - stocky short-legged harness horse|
harness horse - horse used for pulling vehicles
|3.||cob - white gull having a black back and wings|
|4.||cob - adult male swan|
swan - stately heavy-bodied aquatic bird with very long neck and usually white plumage as adult
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
4. (= nut) → avellana f
5. (= maize) → mazorca f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007